DIY pallet bed ideas – Practical and stylish ideas for a comfortable sleeping area
Whether you’re building a pallet bed that’s oversized, a simple crib or a creative rustic bedstead, comfortable moorings for summer afternoons, a pallet bed with storage space, or wheels, this post will help you find useful advice and matching designs. Be inspired by our collection of ideas to enable more creativity and recycling strategy for your home.
In recent years, recycled pallets have become the first choice for many people who want to build their own furniture, and with good reason. Pallets are sturdy, have a rustic look and are easy to work with. These products also speak for sustainability and look great when you have completed a successful DIY project.
Pallets have been around for many years and are mainly used for storage, packaging, and shipping of various goods. Lately, there are sufficient instructions on how to build a pallet board. The discarded pallets have become a popular topic for home improvement. People use them particularly well in home furniture designs and in home decor designs made of wood. We can also use such a bed as a functional piece of modern home furniture, especially in family rooms, guest rooms and most of the time in our master bedroom. It should always be visually appealing, comfortable and functional. This most wanted piece of comfortable home furniture can, therefore, be built endlessly with pallets.
One of the most popular pallet-based projects that many people like to realize at home is the pallet beds. Fully functional and versatile pallet beds offer you all the creativity you can muster. Take a look at the resources and get to know the tricks of the craft, as you can create many bed types with a minimal set of tools and materials.
If you want to build a pallet bed and make it yourself, you need to pick the right pallets. You do not necessarily have to buy them because you can also find recycled ones. However, here are the most important things to consider when choosing materials:
- If you receive recycled pallets, check them and see if they look clean and have no marks. You should avoid the letters MB on the pallet because they have been transporting dangerous chemicals and you do not want to have such materials in your home.
- If you get your hands on international or Euro pallets, pay attention to the IPPC logo. This means that they can be safely used.
- Heat treated, steamed or oven dried pallets are the safest; Learn more about the treatment so you know the pieces of wood are safe. Pallets used for domestic transport (compared to industrial or commercial transport) are safer, but you should inform yourself about their handling, stamps and safety guarantees.
- Avoid colored pallets. While some colors are safe, you do not want to bring the pallets in the bedroom that have undergone unsafe gassing or painting processes.
- Also, avoid pallets that show signs of moisture or wear. The wood must not bend during pressing. Also, make sure that the pallets look and feel dry and clean.
- Avoid pallets with slats that are too far apart, with broken or cracked slats and boards that are full of splinters.
- You should also pay attention to the type of pallet wood you take home. According to experts, the most popular pallets are made of southern yellow pine or oak. They are both attractive alternatives in terms of safety and robustness.
Proper pallet size is less of a problem as long as you get enough pallets for your sumptuous bed. Normally, a pallet bed should measure 140 × 200 cm. So choose these sizes depending on what pallet bed you want to make. As a rule, two or four pallets for a double bed are sufficient. Now that you’ve already selected your pallets, it’s time to collect the materials and get to work.
Images via: Pinterest